Sunday, August 22, 2010

Buying home when judgments against you?

I was married for 6 years. I was separated from him for 4 of those years, although not recognized by court. My ex was obsessive and would lie in court saying we were together when we weren't so it would reset the separation date and I'd have to wait yet another year. During the time we were married, he forged my name to loans and credit cards without my knowledge and by time I found out, I was half million in debt. I have never been able to find a job since I was 16 because of health problems. One of the creditors tracked me down and got a judgment against me for over $13k in 2005. I am a single parent. I saved up money from student loans and have enough to buy a fixer upper. How can I prevent creditors from taking the house? It's cheaper to buy this fixer upper than to pay rent for a year, and I wouldn't have to rent again if I could keep it. It help my daughter and I out since I cannot work (health problems). Can I put house in my daughter's name? She's a minor.Buying home when judgments against you?
It sounds like you need a divorce attorney who can help you and maybe is strong in real Estate. Inquire about putting the house in a trust (I do not know what type would work if at all)





Good Luck, You will need it.Buying home when judgments against you?
A creditor can not take your house, but they can put liens on them. You can file for chapter 7 bk and get rid of the debt and still keep your home and your car.
please see a lawyer, this kind of thing can quickly escalate to where you lose your savings. In most states filing bankruptcy will protect your home and some assets and get the creditors off your back for good. I know it's drastic, but it might be your best bet. Again, please see a lawyer, don't try to do this alone.
First, it would not be hard to show the court your husband was lying , it would be sooooo easy to prove you did not live together.


You can put property in your daughters name if you have enough to buy it without a loan.

No comments:

Post a Comment